Verify claims on food products or proteins as free from hormones or antibiotics
Maxxam is a North American leader in the analysis of food products for chemical and veterinary drug residues. We have a wide scope of accreditation with the Standards Council of Canada and our analyses is approved by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). Maxxam is a provider of contract food residue testing services to government agencies such as the CFIA and USDA.
Specific examples of Maxxam’s leadership position include:
- The only laboratory in North America approved for veterinary drug residue testing as part of the requirements for hormone-free beef exports to the European Union.
- The development of a sensitive method for the detection of chloramphenicol in honey, seafood and meat. Our method is approved by the CFIA.
- Sensitive method development for the detection of ractopamine and thyriostats in animal tissues to help industry comply with government regulatory requirements.
- Development of CFIA fish and seafood residue testing for the QMPI program.
- Routine testing of a wide variety of sample types including meat and meat products, urine samples, fish and fish products, dairy products, fresh fruit and vegetables, honey, processed food products, prepared foods and ingredients.
Our food testing capabilities include:
- Multi-residue methods for pesticides, herbicides and insecticides (includes more than 200 compounds)
- Individual pesticide compounds and/or metabolites
- Individual or multi-drug residue analysis
- Growth-promoting hormones
- Dioxins and furans
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- Heavy Metals
- Mycotoxins (such as aflatoxin)
- Method development and validation services
- Melamine, cyanuric acid and aminopterine in pet food